Thursday, April 30, 2009

Five years from now?

I was talking with someone earlier today about life and plans, and where I see myself five years down the road.  In my mind, a dream is not a plan.  I have many dreams and desires for my life, things that I would like to fulfill over the course of the next five years.  If they don't happen and something else occurs, I'm fine with that.

I've tried the educational route of music, and I've found it lacking. I've also tried the band career route once, and found that disappointing.  Unfortunately, when plans require other people, they tend to work in ways that are not intended. If one person's dream is to be successful and make something for oneself in one's band, it requires that the dreams of the other individuals in the band take this into consideration. Every band or group of people involved in similar pursuits together must ask this question together at some point:  "Where do we want to take this?"  If there is conflict at this point, it must be resolved so that plans can be made with goals that have realistic expectations.

I've asked myself that question about my life, music, relationships--everything. I am not an island; everything that I do involves people. I play in a band with four other people who all have their own lives, separate interests, careers (well, sort of). While things are looking up now, they haven't always been positive. I imagine that in the near future, we will be asking this question of ourselves.  After all, we're about to record our second album and make decisions for where we'll be playing shows at from now on.  (We can't keep playing at the Submarine all of the time.  There's no way to sell merch or get publicity if you stay in the same place.)  To be honest, we probably need a manager.  In all likelihood, we'll have to play shows in places we don't particularly have a desire to play at in order to get our name out there. We'll have to sleep less, practice more, write more, and play more.  How much do we really want to accomplish, here?

Other questions stem from that, for me.  At some point I will have to determine whether or not my involvement in this inhibits other dreams and plans I have. It's difficult to pursue a career as a musician. It is not something that you can half-ass when you start, though it's been proven that one can half-ass it later on.

Where do I see myself five years from now?

Retired.

1 comment: